It is a double whammy for traditional veena makers here with general patronage for this musical instrument coming down and the State Government offering no encouragement in the form of providing loans or helping in procurement of raw material – Jack wood.
About 60 veena makers used to flourish in this small town with sufficient orders. There existed a Saraswati Veenala Owners’ Sankshema Sangham, a society that coordinated their welfare issues with District Administration, but today it is defunct.
Getting wood from jackfruit trees in forests Aswaraopet, Sileru, Kovvuru and other areas had become the biggest challenge for them as they are penalised heavily at check posts for carrying the wood logs, though they were not on the prohibited list, a veena maker Durgaprasad told The Hindu.
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
Asad Ali Khan (1937-2011) REST IN PEACE!
- TV host Syamala flaunts her love for Veena; see post - Times of India January 2, 2019
- The magic of the Santoor and Mohan Veena - The Hindu December 31, 2018
- Five day cultural extravaganza - The Asian Age January 6, 2019
- Dasha Tarangini: Community Of Youth And Their Music - India Currents January 22, 2019
- Tejaswini Kolhapure has a strong connect with her 150-year-old Rudra Veena - Times of India January 12, 2019
- Harry Manx brings the blues to Peterborough's Market Hall - ThePeterboroughExaminer.com January 15, 2019
- Lorraine C.
- Taimur Khan