It is a double whammy for traditional veena makers here with general patronage for this musical instrument coming down and the State Government offering no encouragement in the form of providing loans or helping in procurement of raw material – Jack wood.
About 60 veena makers used to flourish in this small town with sufficient orders. There existed a Saraswati Veenala Owners’ Sankshema Sangham, a society that coordinated their welfare issues with District Administration, but today it is defunct.
Getting wood from jackfruit trees in forests Aswaraopet, Sileru, Kovvuru and other areas had become the biggest challenge for them as they are penalised heavily at check posts for carrying the wood logs, though they were not on the prohibited list, a veena maker Durgaprasad told The Hindu.
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
Asad Ali Khan (1937-2011) REST IN PEACE!
- This RSS feed URL is deprecated April 26, 2018
- Sheppie Snippets: Music students to launch first CD - South Coast Herald April 26, 2018
- Saraswathi Ranganathan Wins 'Best Asian Entertainer' Award at Chicago Music Awards - India West April 22, 2018
- Of sur and tone - The Hindu April 5, 2018
- How the world's first female vichitra veena player found the instrument that spoke to her soul - Firstpost April 7, 2018
- It was an intimate gathering of art lovers - The Hindu April 26, 2018
- Lorraine C.
- Taimur Khan