It is a double whammy for traditional veena makers here with general patronage for this musical instrument coming down and the State Government offering no encouragement in the form of providing loans or helping in procurement of raw material – Jack wood.
About 60 veena makers used to flourish in this small town with sufficient orders. There existed a Saraswati Veenala Owners’ Sankshema Sangham, a society that coordinated their welfare issues with District Administration, but today it is defunct.
Getting wood from jackfruit trees in forests Aswaraopet, Sileru, Kovvuru and other areas had become the biggest challenge for them as they are penalised heavily at check posts for carrying the wood logs, though they were not on the prohibited list, a veena maker Durgaprasad told The Hindu.
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
Asad Ali Khan (1937-2011) REST IN PEACE!
- This RSS feed URL is deprecated February 23, 2018
- Global Isai Festival: Excursions in world music - The Hindu February 23, 2018
- Keeping the tradition throbbing - The Hindu February 22, 2018
- 'Music varsity VC was selected on merit' - The Hindu February 19, 2018
- Seetarama Sarma, the composite artiste - The Hindu - The Hindu February 22, 2018
- Veena Srivani's veena rendition of 'Yentha Sakkagunnave' from Rangasthalam is winning hearts - YoVizag February 23, 2018
- Lorraine C.
- Taimur Khan