It is a double whammy for traditional veena makers here with general patronage for this musical instrument coming down and the State Government offering no encouragement in the form of providing loans or helping in procurement of raw material – Jack wood.
About 60 veena makers used to flourish in this small town with sufficient orders. There existed a Saraswati Veenala Owners’ Sankshema Sangham, a society that coordinated their welfare issues with District Administration, but today it is defunct.
Getting wood from jackfruit trees in forests Aswaraopet, Sileru, Kovvuru and other areas had become the biggest challenge for them as they are penalised heavily at check posts for carrying the wood logs, though they were not on the prohibited list, a veena maker Durgaprasad told The Hindu.
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
Asad Ali Khan (1937-2011) REST IN PEACE!
- This RSS feed URL is deprecated September 24, 2018
- 57th Heritage Music Festival at 8th Cross Ganesha: Veena duet, vocal recital entertain devotees - Star of Mysore September 23, 2018
- Award presented to veena vidwan - The Hindu September 17, 2018
- Traditional art forms infused with contemporary rhythm in Dhaara - The New Indian Express September 23, 2018
- Meet the little vainika - The Hindu September 20, 2018
- A class apart - The Hindu September 21, 2018
- Lorraine C.
- Taimur Khan