It is a double whammy for traditional veena makers here with general patronage for this musical instrument coming down and the State Government offering no encouragement in the form of providing loans or helping in procurement of raw material – Jack wood.
About 60 veena makers used to flourish in this small town with sufficient orders. There existed a Saraswati Veenala Owners’ Sankshema Sangham, a society that coordinated their welfare issues with District Administration, but today it is defunct.
Getting wood from jackfruit trees in forests Aswaraopet, Sileru, Kovvuru and other areas had become the biggest challenge for them as they are penalised heavily at check posts for carrying the wood logs, though they were not on the prohibited list, a veena maker Durgaprasad told The Hindu.
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
Asad Ali Khan (1937-2011) REST IN PEACE!
- Re-emergence of Dhrupad - Deccan Chronicle September 24, 2017
- Symphony NH Presents Classical Indian Music - Londonderry News September 25, 2017
- Short-term joy was not his cup of tea - The Hindu September 22, 2017
- Grand Veena recital at RAAGA on 16th - Star of Mysore September 15, 2017
- Of art and music: A Vainik who creates music - Deccan Chronicle August 27, 2017
- Harry Manx brings together blues and classical Hindustani music for Faith Lifts - Straight.com September 21, 2017
- Lorraine C.
- Taimur Khan