It is a double whammy for traditional veena makers here with general patronage for this musical instrument coming down and the State Government offering no encouragement in the form of providing loans or helping in procurement of raw material – Jack wood.
About 60 veena makers used to flourish in this small town with sufficient orders. There existed a Saraswati Veenala Owners’ Sankshema Sangham, a society that coordinated their welfare issues with District Administration, but today it is defunct.
Getting wood from jackfruit trees in forests Aswaraopet, Sileru, Kovvuru and other areas had become the biggest challenge for them as they are penalised heavily at check posts for carrying the wood logs, though they were not on the prohibited list, a veena maker Durgaprasad told The Hindu.
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
Asad Ali Khan (1937-2011) REST IN PEACE!
- This RSS feed URL is deprecated November 23, 2017
- Weaving magic with the veena - Deccan Chronicle November 20, 2017
- 'Nadalahari' features instrumentalists celebrating Chennai for ... - The Hindu November 23, 2017
- Pt Vishwa Mohan Bhatt: Classical music brings out human values in listeners all around world - Connected to India (press release) November 15, 2017
- Seventh Grade Student Neil Nayyar Sets Record for Playing 44 Instruments - India West November 22, 2017
- Land allotted for music varsity at Dharmapura encroached upon - Times of India November 22, 2017
- Lorraine C.
- Taimur Khan