It is a double whammy for traditional veena makers here with general patronage for this musical instrument coming down and the State Government offering no encouragement in the form of providing loans or helping in procurement of raw material – Jack wood.
About 60 veena makers used to flourish in this small town with sufficient orders. There existed a Saraswati Veenala Owners’ Sankshema Sangham, a society that coordinated their welfare issues with District Administration, but today it is defunct.
Getting wood from jackfruit trees in forests Aswaraopet, Sileru, Kovvuru and other areas had become the biggest challenge for them as they are penalised heavily at check posts for carrying the wood logs, though they were not on the prohibited list, a veena maker Durgaprasad told The Hindu.
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
Asad Ali Khan (1937-2011) REST IN PEACE!
- This RSS feed URL is deprecated November 20, 2018
- Minnesota master of Indian Carnatic music is one of world's top veena players - Minneapolis Star Tribune October 24, 2018
- Flowing with music - Deccan Chronicle November 20, 2018
- Veena, classical vocal concert organised - The Hans India November 13, 2018
- 'Not enough veena makers today' - Times of India November 4, 2018
- WATCH: Veena Artist Plays Shankar Mahadevan's 'Breathless' Without a Pause - News18 October 24, 2018
- Lorraine C.
- Taimur Khan