It is a double whammy for traditional veena makers here with general patronage for this musical instrument coming down and the State Government offering no encouragement in the form of providing loans or helping in procurement of raw material – Jack wood.
About 60 veena makers used to flourish in this small town with sufficient orders. There existed a Saraswati Veenala Owners’ Sankshema Sangham, a society that coordinated their welfare issues with District Administration, but today it is defunct.
Getting wood from jackfruit trees in forests Aswaraopet, Sileru, Kovvuru and other areas had become the biggest challenge for them as they are penalised heavily at check posts for carrying the wood logs, though they were not on the prohibited list, a veena maker Durgaprasad told The Hindu.
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
Asad Ali Khan (1937-2011) REST IN PEACE!
- This RSS feed URL is deprecated May 28, 2018
- Made for the veena - Telangana Today May 26, 2018
- On a journey of perseverance - The New Indian Express May 27, 2018
- Five music concerts at Nadabrahma Sangeetha Sabha from May 26 - Star of Mysore May 25, 2018
- Jugalbandi — what's the charm? - The Hindu May 24, 2018
- innova's Inn-fest 2018 in Minneapolis-St. Paul: Delightfully Adventurous - I CARE IF YOU LISTEN May 16, 2018
- Lorraine C.
- Taimur Khan