It is a double whammy for traditional veena makers here with general patronage for this musical instrument coming down and the State Government offering no encouragement in the form of providing loans or helping in procurement of raw material – Jack wood.
About 60 veena makers used to flourish in this small town with sufficient orders. There existed a Saraswati Veenala Owners’ Sankshema Sangham, a society that coordinated their welfare issues with District Administration, but today it is defunct.
Getting wood from jackfruit trees in forests Aswaraopet, Sileru, Kovvuru and other areas had become the biggest challenge for them as they are penalised heavily at check posts for carrying the wood logs, though they were not on the prohibited list, a veena maker Durgaprasad told The Hindu.
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
Asad Ali Khan (1937-2011) REST IN PEACE!
- Accordionist Devanathan shares his 70 years of musical journey - News Today March 25, 2019
- ‘Ragor Xondhya’ organized in Guwahati to celebrate Guru Hem Hazarika’s 70th birthday - The Sentinel Assam March 23, 2019
- A Hindi jukebox for American ears - Mid-Day March 17, 2019
- A museum of ancient instruments in Chennai - The Hindu March 14, 2019
- The Indian opera singer who changed the face of Delhi theatre - Quartz March 22, 2019
- A stage for women - Pune Mirror March 22, 2019
- Lorraine C.
- Taimur Khan