It is a double whammy for traditional veena makers here with general patronage for this musical instrument coming down and the State Government offering no encouragement in the form of providing loans or helping in procurement of raw material – Jack wood.
About 60 veena makers used to flourish in this small town with sufficient orders. There existed a Saraswati Veenala Owners’ Sankshema Sangham, a society that coordinated their welfare issues with District Administration, but today it is defunct.
Getting wood from jackfruit trees in forests Aswaraopet, Sileru, Kovvuru and other areas had become the biggest challenge for them as they are penalised heavily at check posts for carrying the wood logs, though they were not on the prohibited list, a veena maker Durgaprasad told The Hindu.
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
Asad Ali Khan (1937-2011) REST IN PEACE!
- This RSS feed URL is deprecated August 15, 2018
- Geetha Bennett (1950-2018) : A Tribute - India Currents August 13, 2018
- Amazon Prime's Harmony with AR Rahman hopes to introduce ... - Firstpost August 9, 2018
- Jana Gana Mana | The Soul Of India | Sonu Nigam | Bickram Ghosh - Times of India August 15, 2018
- Music - The Hindu August 14, 2018
- How an apartment became important for classical music fans - Times of India August 5, 2018
- Lorraine C.
- Taimur Khan